The Social Security Administration (SSA) has created listings of impairments in 14 areas of disability. The SSA impairment listing is quite detailed and is one way the SSA determines disability claims for Social Security Disability (SSD) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI). If a claimant’s disability meets or equals a listed impairment to a requisite severity, he or she may be found disabled for purposes of Social Security Disability or SSI benefits on that medical basis alone.
Even if you do not meet one of these impairment listings, you still may be found disabled by the SSA.
The following disability areas are on the SSA Impairment Listing:
1. Musculoskeletal system disorders such as joint dysfunctions, spinal disorders, amputation, burns (soft tissue injuries), and fractures
2. Special senses and speech such as visual and hearing problems and loss of speech
3. Respiratory system problems such as chronic pulmonary difficulties, asthma, cystic fibrosis, and chronic lung infections
4. Cardiovascular system problems such as chronic heart failure, heart disease, and chronic venous insufficiency
5. Digestive system disorders such as obstruction of the esophagus, chronic liver disease, and chronic colitis
6. Genitourinary system problems such as renal function impairments and nephrotic syndrome
7. Hematological disorders such as chronic anemia, sickle cell disease, myelofibrosis, and coagulation defects
8. Skin disorders such as ichthyosis, bullous disease, and burns
9. Endocrine system problems such as thyroid disorders and diabetes mellitus (with neuropathy, acidosis, or retinitis proliferans)
10. Impairments that affect multiple body systems (Down syndrome)
11. Neurological disorders such as epilepsy, brain tumor, cerebral palsy, cerebral trauma, multiple sclerosis, and muscular dystrophy
12. Mental disorders such as organic disorders, schizophrenia, affective disorders, anxiety, personality disorders, mental retardation, and autism
13. Malignant neoplastic disorders (cancer) such as soft tissue tumors, lymphoma, multiple myeloma, and leukemia
14. Immune system disorders such as lupus, sclerosis, inflammatory arthritis, and HIV infection
**Please note: The disease examples listed above under each impairment category are not exhaustive.
If you are disabled and unable to be gainfully employed, contact the Social Security Disability attorneys at Brooks Law Group.
If you are interested in receiving help on your Social Security claim, please contact us for Free Case Evaluation (Secure Online) or call at 1-888-WE-MEAN-IT (888-936-3264).
Please be sure to provide us with as much information as is reasonably available. The quality of our evaluation is dependent upon the accuracy of the information you provide to us.
Any initial consultation with our firm is free. For more information, call us at 1-888-WE-MEAN-IT (888-936-3264), or contact us by e-mail.