Congratulations to our Spring 2020 Scholarship Winners:
1st Place Winner- $1000 scholarship: Taylor Ford – Niceville, FL
2nd Place Winner- $250 scholarship: James Tanner – Tampa, FL
At Brooks Law Group, we’ve always been passionate advocates for client rights. As we celebrate over 25 years in business, it seems fitting to reflect on the impact we have had in our community as well. The Brooks team has had a strong philanthropic culture and a heart for the state of Florida. Steve and Beach Brooks grew up in Winter Haven, FL and have a desire to give back to the future generations of Florida students. In an effort to build up our community and the future of Florida, we are proud to announce the biannual Brooks Law Group Scholarship.
Fall 2020 Scholarships
- Two (1st and 2nd place) scholarships will be awarded
- Application Deadline: November 6th
- Awards will be announced by: November 20th
- First Place Winner: $1000
- Second Place Winner: $250
Fall Essay Topic:
**All writing must be between 700 and 1,400 words and original to the student**
This year we have all experienced an unprecedented event in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. Each of us has been impacted by this virus, whether medically, economically, or socially. We’ve stayed home to flatten the curve and saluted our front-line workers who fight every day to keep us safe.
The number of cases in the United States continues to rise each day, reaching over 3 million people, according to the CDC. Schools across the country have closed, forcing over 14 million college students to take classes remotely. Over 20 million people were unemployed when our entire economy shut down almost instantly.
Even in the face of this hardship, we have all come together to help our communities and our country. We’ve learned a lot about ourselves and about what it takes to keep others safe. The pandemic may be far from over, but we are overcoming its challenges day by day.
How have you personally been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic and what have you learned? What have you done to help others in your community during this time? If you were in charge, how would you have addressed the concerns we’ve seen?
Essays will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Correct use of grammar and language
- Well-reasoned ideas on the topic
- Foundational knowledge of law
Does Your Essay Meet the Criteria?
- All content should be original. Essays will be checked for plagiarism.
- Essays should be no less than 700 words and adhere to the word count assigned to each topic whenever possible.
- Essays must contain at least two links: one internal (links to a page on Brooks Law Group) and one external (points to a credible information source and cannot link to another law firm).
- Looking for some of our pages to link to? Try some of our blog posts or practice areas.
Does the essay contain accurate information?
- Is the essay understandable? (This should be written as if your reader has an 8th-grade education.)
- Does this essay contain relevant information (up-to-date facts, case studies, etc.)?
- Will your readers feel they have been informed or educated?
The best way to check this is to ask yourself if you learned anything by writing this article. If not, add some more facts and “wow” factors.
Applicants must be a high school senior or current undergraduate student, be enrolled in or planning to attend a U.S. college or university and submit their application, with all components, by the deadline.
Once the deadline has passed, Brooks Law Group will select the winner. Winners will be notified by email. Enrollment will be verified with the college or university before Brooks Law Group submits a one-time payment to the college or university on behalf of the winner. Upon winning, the winner’s photograph and essay will be published on Brooks Law Group’s Blog.
By voluntarily submitting identifiable information to our email address, you are providing Brooks Law Group with your name, phone number and email address for the sole purpose of entering the essay contest.
By taking part in this essay contest, contestants agree to indemnify, defend and hold harmless Brooks Law Group, its managers, members, directors, officers and employees from and against any and all liability and costs, including reasonable attorneys’ fees associated with taking part in this contest or the acceptance, or use of prizes. Under no circumstances shall Brooks Law Group, its directors, officers and employees, be liable to the contestant for indirect, punitive, special or consequential damages.
Employees of Brooks Law Group their board of directors and immediate families are not eligible to enter this essay contest.
- PUBLICITY: Except where prohibited by law, by accepting a Scholarship Prize, Brooks Law Group Scholarship recipients agree that Brooks Law Group may, without any limitation or further compensation or notice, use his or her name, and/or likeness in any and all media, worldwide, for the purpose of advertising and promoting Brooks Law Group and the Scholarship Program.
- BROOKS LAW GROUP’S RIGHT TO MODIFY, SUSPEND OR TERMINATE. In the event Brooks Law Group is prevented from continuing with the Scholarship Program by any event beyond its reasonable control, then Brooks Law Group shall have the right in its sole discretion to modify or terminate the Scholarship Program.
**By submitting my essay to be entered into the Brooks Law Group scholarship contest, I am agreeing that any and all content submitted can be utilized by Brooks Law Group for any purpose including, but not limited to, blogs or social media posts without any attribution of authorship to myself and will become the complete and full property of Brooks Law Group. I also agree that I will not post this essay to any other website/blog/internet source, as I have given Brooks Law Group all rights to this article.**
Fill the form out below. If you have any questions or need help, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for Fall 2020 are now open!
Before you hit apply: Your scholarship application must include a small paragraph with some background information about yourself.