If you or a loved one is hurt in an accident, you need a skilled attorney to handle your claim. But how do you know how to select the right attorney? What criteria should you use to choose the right attorney? Here are some of the key factors to question when choosing an auto accident attorney:
- Check their Experience – Your attorney should be able to tell you:
- How many cases have been settled?
- How many has the attorney tried before a jury?
- What dollar verdicts has the attorney achieved?
- Ask about their team of experts – Who does the attorney work with? Does the attorney have a working relationship with investigators, doctors, accountants and other professionals?
- Is the attorney ready to go to trial? The best way to get the largest award is to be ready to go to trial. Some attorneys are afraid of trial – they instinctively like to settle cases. A attorney who has tried cases knows how each pre-trial stage is important for trial. The skilled auto accident attorney is constantly thinking – how will this document, question or bit of evidence be useful at trial.
- Is the attorney a good and skillful negotiator – Insurance companies are interested in settling cases for the lowest fee. A good attorney will know the arguments and defenses that insurance negotiators will use so the attorney can get the best results in negotiation. They also know that negotiators offer the best settlement when they know the attorney will go to trial.
- Check their testimonials – does the attorney/firm have statements and references from clients who have liked the attorney’s work.
- Check their website and their blogs. Good auto accident attorneys are interested in educating their clients and potential clients. See if the attorney has numerous readable and informative articles on personal injury topics so the client can be properly informed
- Contingency fee policy – Does the attorney have a contingency fee policy? A contingency fee means the attorney only gets compensation if the case settles (with client approval) or there is a verdict. Attorneys who take cases on a percentage/contingency fee basis have a vested interest in winning the case.
- What percentage of their practice is personal injury? Check the attorney’s website and ask the attorney what are their practice areas. Do they handle just personal injury cases or do they handle other matters like family law and estates. An attorney dedicated to just personal injury matters is more likely to be prepared to handle and win your car accident claim.
- Ask who is handling the case? Make sure the experienced attorney will over-see the case and not a staff associate.
- What types of trauma? Ask about the types of cases they’ve handled. Do they just do minor injuries or do they handle cases where the victim is unable to work for the rest of his life or where the victim has died?
A good auto accident attorney will be happy to explain his experience, how he can help you prepare and win your case and will be able to point to tangible successful results.
How Brooks Law Group can help.
If you or anyone you know has suffered because of an auto or car accident, let our law firm help you get the recovery you deserve. During this difficult time we will help you receive the maximum compensation allowed by law and we will assist you through every step of the case. We will not take any fees until the case is resolved. Our team of attorneys works with medical professionals, valuation experts, technical experts and other attorneys. If you or a loved one suffered an injury or a death please call us at 1-888-WE-MEAN-IT (1-888-936-3264) or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org.