Like the rest of the U.S., Florida has been battling the coronavirus since March. While the state is suffering from lost lives, lost jobs, and economic turmoil, there has been a small silver lining. The number of fatal car accidents plunged in Florida since the pandemic began, according to a recent study by the National Safety Council (NSC). However, the number of fatalities in other parts of the country rose.
It’s natural to expect fewer auto accidents with fewer cars on the road. There was an 18.6 percent drop in traffic nationwide in March compared to the same time last year. However, there was a 14 percent increase in fatality rates per mile driven that same month, the NSC said. But in Florida, the numbers stayed relatively steady with 301 deaths in March compared to 334 the previous year.
Why are Accidents and Fatalities Reduced?
There is no evidence to suggest that people drove more safely during the lockdown. In fact, some people took advantage of the situation and drove much more dangerously because the roads were so empty. For the most part, however, crashes were down because people were home.
What to Do if I Have Been Injured in a Car Accident?
Crashes don’t stop for viruses. If you’re involved in a car accident, you can take several steps to protect a potential legal claim.
- Call the police if the accident resulted in significant property damage, injury, or death.
- Tell the officer what happened, but do not guess, assign, or accept blame for the crash.
- Take pictures of the vehicle damage, your injuries, and any other relevant factors that could be used as evidence if you file a claim.
- Exchange names, contact information, driver’s license numbers, and insurance information with all other drivers involved.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible, even if you feel fine.
- Check your car insurance policy. There are deadlines to report accidents that you may need to be follow in order to receive coverage.
- Contact an experienced Florida car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Your insurance company or the insurer of the at-fault driver will try to settle right away. Don’t accept anything until you’ve consulted with a lawyer.
How Can Brooks Law Group Help Me?
If you’ve been in a crash in Tampa, Winter Haven, Lakeland, or Auburndale, the experienced attorneys at Brooks Law Group can determine who was liable and negotiate aggressively for the compensation that you are owed. Call us today for a free consultation.