Wrongful death cases are different from other types of personal injury accident claims in many ways. Our skilled Tampa and Florida lawyers understand the emotional loss and will work with you to help you through your pain. Here are some of the key impacts of the death of personal injury victim:
- A life cut short – Because of a wrongful death, a victim cannot enjoy the rest of his/her life. This includes love for family and friends. It includes all the hopes and dreams of the decedent. It includes all the ways the decedent would help his family. We know any reward cannot fully compensate family and loved one for the loss.
- The loss of a loved one– Florida allows the survivors compensation for the loss of a loved one in the form of:
- Loss of Companionship and Pain and Suffering of the Survivors – the emotional loss of losing a loved one.
- Loss of Support and Services of the Survivors– Financial support and household tasks the decedent would have provided.
- The victim can’t bring the lawsuit directly. Because of death, a personal representative must be appointed who will officially bring the lawsuit. Sometimes the decedent appointed a personal representative in his/her will. Otherwise, a personal will have to be selected and approved by the local court. The personal representative will need to obtain a death certificate from the Florida Department of Health
- The decedent can’t testify in his own behalf. It is therefore more necessary to use legal counsel because the decedent can’t explain what happened. A skilled Tampa wrongful death attorney knows how to investigate a case, which witnesses can testify and what questions can be asked – so that the liability of the defendant(s) can be proved.
- The claimants are different. In a non-death personal injury claim, the claimants are the victim and the victim’s spouse. In a wrongful death claim, the claimants are the spouse and the survivors.
- The damages are different:
- Pain and suffering. In a non-death personal injury, the victim can get pain and suffering. In a wrongful death claim, the spouse and survivors are allowed to get pain and suffering.
- Lost earnings. In a wrongful death claim, the amount of earnings the decedent would have earned are part of the award. In a personal injury claim the amount of lost wages (until the victim can return to work) are part of the award.
How our law firm can help?
If anyone you know is a victim of a wrongful death or thinks their pain might be someone else’s fault, let our law firm help you get the recovery you deserve. During this difficult time we will help you receive the maximum compensation allowed by law and we will assist you through every step of the case. Our team of lawyers works with medical professionals, valuation experts, technical experts and other lawyers. We bring wrongful death claims in Tampa and throughout Florida. If you or a loved one suffered an injury or a death please call us at 1-888-WE-MEAN-IT (1-888-936-3264) or email us at: [email protected].