If you have AFIB or have had a hip or knee replacement you are probably familiar with Xarelto.
What is Xarelto?
Xarelto is a drug used to prevent blood clots from forming by blocking specific proteins in your body. The dosage taken is different for each specific case; therefore, always follow your doctor’s directions carefully to prevent an overdose.
Xarelto can be taken to
- Prevent blood clots after hip replacement surgery
- Prevent blood clots after knee replacement surgery
- Prevent strokes from irregular heartbeat like AFIB
- Prevent blood clots from irregular heartbeat like AFIB
What are the side effects?
Some Side Effects to Xarelto include, but not limited to:
- Back or side pain and joint or muscle pain
- Tingling feelings, numbness, itching, crawling or “pins and needles”
- Bloody stool
- Coughing up or vomiting blood
- Dizziness, blurred vision, or headaches
- Increased menstrual flow or vaginal bleeding
- Bowel or bladder dysfunction
- Unusual tiredness or weakness
Although some of the side effects that occur may not need medical attention and may go away after your body gets used to the medication, it is always good to check with your doctor – your Doctor may tell you ways to prevent or reduce some.
What should I do while taking Xarelto?
Before using the medication: make sure that the doctor knows your medical history, allergies, and if you are planning on getting pregnant.
During the time you take the medication: It is very important that you tell all your other doctors what you are taking this medication, for example, your dentist.
According to WebMD, if you miss a dose, take it as soon as you remember, however, if it is near the second dose just skip it and resume with the second. Do NOT double on the dose to catch up.
What are the risks of taking Xarelto?
Like any other medication, there are risks to taking Xarelto. You may experience serious bleeding. If so, your doctor should be informed right away.
In some cases, the patient may have an internal bleed that is uncontrollable. As Xarelto doesn’t have an antidote this then becomes life threatening because there is no way to reverse the drugs effect on your body – this can lead to cerebral or internal hemorrhaging that can lead to death.
Contact Brooks Law Group
If you or a loved one has been affected by Xarelto, call Brooks Law Group today at 1-800-LAW-3030 for a free consultation. Attorneys at Brooks Law Group work on a contingent fee basis meaning there is no attorney fee unless your win.