There are several hundred Walmart stores in Florida including close to a dozen in Tampa. Walmart stores provide a range of services from auto and photography to grocery shopping, clothing and furniture. Unfortunately, accidents do happen in these stores. Customers slip and fall for a variety of reasons that Walmart should prepare for.
If you slip and fall in a Walmart store you need to take following steps to protect yourself and your rights.
- Take care of yourself – get up if you can; ask for help if you can’t.
- Determine why you fell.
- Was the floor wet? If so:
- Where was the liquid?
- Was it water or something else?
- Was the liquid clear?
- Was the floor wet? If so:
- Was the floor recently polished or cleaned?
- What was the lighting like where you fell?
- Was there any object on the floor? If there was merchandise, what was the merchandise?
- What was the surface? Did you fall on tile, cement or carpet?
- Were there warning signs?
- Determine if the conditions indicate that the problem was old. Florida law requires a showing that Walmart or Walmart employees or Walmart contractors knew of the poor conditions or should have known of the poor conditions.
- Take pictures or notes – if you have a cell phone camera or any camera, take photos of the scene.
- Determine where the accident happened.
- Many accidents happen near the entrance or Walmart exit.
- Accidents also happen in the product aisles. Note which aisle, if you fell in an aisle.
- Were there any witnesses? If there were, get their contact information and ask them what they saw.
- Notify store management. You need to tell someone who works at Walmart that you fell. When you do, Walmart will probably take a written statement. Get the manager’s contact information. Walmart will try to clean up the area – so take a good second look before you leave.
- Get medical attention. The sooner you see a doctor, the sooner the doctor can help you get better. Also, seeing a doctor sooner will show that your injury was serious.
How a slip and fall attorney can help with your Walmart claim. Your lawyer will:
- Investigate the cause of the fall by investigating the scene and talking to witnesses.
- Investigate what Walmart could have done to prevent the accident.
- Prepare your medical evidence, work evidence and any evidence that supports your pain and suffering claim.
- Make sure the right parties are sued. In addition to Walmart, there may be other people responsible such as the maintenance company or a landlord.
- Make sure the lawsuit is brought timely.
- Negotiate your claim with the Walmart’s insurance companies and other relevant insurance companies.
- Prepare your case for trial.
How our firm can help.
If anyone you know has suffered because of an accident in a Walmart or any other store let our law firm help you get the recovery you deserve. During this difficult time we will help you receive the maximum compensation allowed by law and we will assist you through every step of the case. Our team of lawyers works with medical professionals, valuation experts, technical experts and other lawyers. If you or a loved one suffered an injury or a death please call us at 1-888-WE-MEAN-IT (1-888-936-3264) or email us at: [email protected].