Nobody likes to hear the word “Brain Injury.” Brain Injuries are one of the scariest types of injuries known to man. One of the latest personal injury settlements in Polk County, Florida was for a gentleman who suffered from a brain injury. He received a 5 million dollar settlement.
5 million dollars is a lot of money, but what price can you really put on not being able to use your brain the same way ever again? The severity of a brain injury will differ from accident to accident.
Also, certain types of brain injuries are more severe than others. There are five different types of brain injuries: Concussion, Contusion, Coup-Contrecoup, Diffuse Axonal, and Penetration. All these brain injuries are very serious, in most cases are life changing, and require immediate attention.
- A concussion is when the blood vessels or cranial nerves are damaged. This is caused by a sudden impact to the head.
- A contusion is when the brain is bruised or there is bleeding in the brain.
- A coup-contrecoup is when the brain has a contusion on the side of the impact but also on the opposite side of the brain.
- Diffuse Axonal is the nerve tissues throughout the brain that have extensive tearing. This is very serious because it can cause additional injury since the tearing of the nerve tissues can cause the brain to release chemicals.
- Penetration is when your head comes in contact with an object so hard, it forces your hair, skin, bones, and fragments into the brain
When someone suffers a brain injury as a result of an accident caused by someone else, it will be important for them to seek legal counsel from an attorney who has a successful track record for handling brain injury cases.
If you or a loved one has suffered an injury to your head, whether you think it’s “nothing” or not, it could be a very serious injury. You will want to make sure you get in to see a doctor right away. Doctors who specialize in brain injuries will know exactly what to test for to see if there has been any injury to the brain. They are also going to play a huge role in any potential personal injury case because all personal injury cases are medically driven.
Traumatic brain injuries can change a person’s life and they will need extra support and assistance physically, emotionally, and financially from family and friends. Those who suffer from traumatic brain injuries are going to miss work or may not ever be able to return to work.
If someone you know or love has suffered from a brain injury as a result of someone else’s negligence, it will be very important to have a solid traumatic brain injury attorney on your side. The insurance companies are there to protect their insureds, and they will try to settle for as little as possible. So, if you or a loved one has suffered from a traumatic brain injury and have questions, contact a lawyer. Law offices like Brooks Law Group, do not charge for case evaluations and won’t get any money unless we get money for you. We are here to help provide answers, help make this tragic time a little easier on you and your family.